website    |    behance    |    twitter    |    contact

Saturday, July 17, 2010

really beautiful



Windows by Alice Neel 
(image from aliceneel.com)


I found Alice Neel's artist monograph at work one day and was really moved by the expressionistic portraits of her friends and family (which is actually what she was known for). And then I turned to a page with this painting and was immediately blown away.

I don't want to say too much about it. I mean besides the beautiful composition, I think I was mostly taken by what she decided to paint in detail and what she just left alone. These windows belong to an apartment building. But doesn't it feel like each window, rather than just being a window, is maybe... a representation of its tenant? They should all be uniform, but they're really not...!

She's a wonderful artist, please take a look at her work. You can find her monograph at the book section of the AGO shop.

2 comments:

  1. oh chels, you can so paint like this!! REally like it though, it would be nice to see a bunch of studies or series on building windows

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of doing that while we're in New York. They have amazing buildings and architecture!

    ReplyDelete